Love watching birds in your backyard? If you wonder how to attract them, here’s a guide that contains everything you need to know about different types of hanging bird feeders and how to pick one that integrates perfectly with your landscape.
Why do you need a decent bird feeder, you might wonder? Think of it this way, what’s better than having one or two birds flying around your garden? The answer is simple… MORE BIRDS! Two birds become three, three become four and before you know it, you have lots of birds visiting your garden every morning. Now all you have to do is just sit back, sip your favorite drink and enjoy the delighting view of wildlife in your backyard while listening to a symphony orchestrated by nature.
These hanging bird feeders make great gifts for your bird loving friends. Here are 7 perfect gifts for birders.
Squirrel Proof Hanging Bird Feeders
One of the most annoying problems if you have a basic bird feeder is that the food you intended for birds is often shared with squirrels. Squirrels might be cute sometimes, but if you live in a wooded area, your birds will never get enough food. Check out how you can squirrel proof any feeder!
Squirrels can jump up to four feet in the vertical direction and can glide approximately nine feet in the horizontal direction. This makes stopping them from reaching your bird feeder an almost impossible task. That’s where a squirrel proof hanging bird feeder comes to the rescue. And hey, if you’re a fan of the squirrels like we are, then you might want to consider getting a squirrel feeder as well (this one is adorable!).
Types of squirrel proof bird feeders
There are two main types of squirrel proof feeders. Picking the proper one for you depends on your surroundings and whether it complements the way your garden looks.
- feeders with baffles – these give squirrels a hard time reaching the seeds
- feeders weight triggers – once the squirrel gets on the feeder, it triggers the mechanism shutting all access to the seed ports until the weight is removed
Here’s a list of quality bird feeders that are squirrel proof.
- Woodlink Absolute Squirrel Resistant: a great bird feeder with multiple outlets for those who would like to attract a large flock of birds. The weight trigger should prevent squirrel intruders from getting to the seeds.
- Myard Rocket: a fairly sizable bird feeder capable of holding a lot of seed so you won’t need to fill it so often. Also, this feeder is double sided, so expect twice the number of birds you’re used to seeing ;).
- Brome Squirrel Buster: a very attractive bird feeder that is able to blend well with any landscape. Numerous ventilation slots and food outlets help keep the seeds fresh and the birds coming.
Metal Hanging Bird Feeders
Hanging Mesh Ball Bird FeederWild Bird Feeder with Hanging Metal Roof,Red Seed Ball Wild Bird FeederMetal Hanging Bird FeederSpringtime Hanging Bird Feeder,Comfy Hour Hanging Bird Feeder
You can also control squirrels by using baffles, spinners, and wire cages to prevent animals from climbing onto or getting into the bird feeder.
Check out thee metal hanging bird feeders:
Collections Etc Hanging Spiral Perch: the spiral design on this feeder just makes it irresistible: a metal structure that is easy to fill by popping the top off.
Sunflower Metal and Glass Hanging Mesh Bird Feeder: beautiful metal and glass feeder that would make it a great addition to your garden, and the perfect gift to a garden lover (here are some Mother’s day gardener gifts)
Hanging Bird Feeder Plans
Thinking of building your own bird feeder? That’s great! You can create a unique feeder you’ll enjoy for years to come.
If you’re crafty enough, you may not need to buy a plan. But most of us will need some kind of idea where to start. Here are a couple books if you need some inspiration.
MenuProducts SettingsPreview Get Code Add Text and Featured Product Options
Clear All Search Add
Handmade Birdhouses and Feeders: 35 projects to attract birds into your garden
Easy-to-Make Bird Feeders for Woodworkers (Dover Woodworking)
2433 characters Import Code Copy to Clipboard
Handmade Birdhouses and Feeders: 35 projects to attract birds into your gardenEasy-to-Make Bird Feeders for Woodworkers (Dover Woodworking)
Don’t want to buy a book? Here’s a few simple plans you can use to build your very own bird feeder.
- Simple Platform Bird Feeder: a basic plan for a platform feeder that will not cost you a whole lot. All you need is a few pieces of rough cedar, a few pieces of molding strips and your set of tools.
- Soda Bottle Bird Feeder: are you about to throw away an empty glass bottle? Don’t do it. This plan is a creative way of building yourself a hangable glass bottle bird feeder.
- Pie Tin Bird Feeder: this plan uses a pie tin to build a very sturdy bird feeder. Squirrels will find it hard to chew on this bad boy.
Whether you buy or build some yourself, using hanging bird feeders will be a treat for you and your family!
The 5 Best Bluebird Feeders That Actually Work
Thursday 12th of May 2022
[…] Hanging bird feeders your favorite birds will love […]
Best Landscaping Ideas For Your Home
Thursday 11th of February 2021
[…] Hanging Bird Feeders Your Favorite Birds Will Love! […]
7 Unique Gifts For Bird Lovers
Wednesday 29th of July 2020
[…] to invite the birds to come to them, instead of the other way around. Birdbaths, birdhouses, and bird feeders are all lovely, simple ways to show appreciation to a bird […]
33 Must See Front Yard Landscaping Ideas For Your Home
Wednesday 9th of October 2019
[…] For a more practical approach you can hang herbs or bird feeders instead of flowers from the […]
How To Create A Garden For The Birds
Wednesday 9th of October 2019
[…] putting out a couple seed trays. If you are into bird watching you probably already have several bird feeders of different types scattered around your […]