If you like working outdoors, keeping your garden alive and landscape nice and trim, you need some yard shoes. I know what you’re thinking: why pay for yard working shoes, when I can just use my old sneakers? I’ll tell you why!
Why Should You Invest In Yard Working Shoes?
Yard work involves walking, standing on uneven ground, getting up and down, squatting, lunging, and more. A complete workout, if you ask me! Would you go to the gym in your old, worn-out shoes? Probably not. Using a good pair of supporting gardening shoes is the best thing you can do for yourself.
A few more questions…
Would you like to keep your toes and socks dry while working in the yard? I thought so.
How about slipping? Ever slipped on wet grass? Ouch! Not pleasant at all. A good pair of garden shoes or boots will have the right grip so you can be stable on your feet, rather than slip and slide around the garden when it’s wet.
What about protection? Another reason you’ll want a good pair of yard shoes is to protect your feet from rocks, thorns, spiders, wasps, and even garden tools laying around your garden.
And, of course, you don’t want to carry around some heavy boots that will kill your back, just because you don’t have the right yard work shoes.
Today’s yard shoes are light, airy and with just the right amount of bottom grooves to keep you safe while gardening.
Top Choices For Yard Shoes
Now that you’re convinced you need yard work shoes, here are the best garden and yard shoes:
Yard shoes for men: Kujo Yardwear Lightweight Breathable Yard Work Shoe
Yard shoes for women: Lightweight Kujo Yard Working Shoes
Waterproof yard shoes: Unisex Waterproof Garden Shoes
Mars yard shoes: Sb Team Classic Mars Yard (Golden Beige/Light Cream-White)
Slip on yard shoes: Unisex Slip-on Garden Shoes – Waterproof
Yard aerator shoes: Lawn Aerator Shoes w/Metal Buckles and 3 Straps
Best Features For Yard Work Shoes
Here are just a few of the best features for good yard work shoes:
- lightweight – not having to lug around heavy shoes will make it easier to keep working
- waterproof – no one wants soggy feet while working. Keeping your toes dry (and your socks clean) make a world of difference.
- breathable – if you’re in the garden working for several hours in the heat, you’ll be thankful for shoes that let air in and moisture out
- firm, but not stiff bottoms – you want your outdoor working shoes to be flexible enough to be comfortable, but not so soft that you feel every little rock on the ground
- textured bottoms – to give you a good grip while walking around and keep you for slipping
How To Care For Your Outdoor Work Shoes
Keeping your outdoor shoes in top shape will save you from having to spend money to buy new ones. Here’s how to care for your garden work shoes:
- clean the mud off – for most garden shoes models this will be as easy as hosing them off before you go in. Once the mud dries off, it will be a lot harder to get it off. It will also wear your shoes off a lot faster if you leave the mud cakes on.
- keep them dry – water shouldn’t get inside your garden shoes, but if it did, make sure you dry them off. Place them in a well aired area and let them dry completely before using again.
- freshen them up regularly – working in the garden is a sweaty job. Don’t let your shoes get stinky. It will be a LOT harder to get the smell out. Instead, use the recipe below to make your own shoe deodorizer, and use it every few days to keep your shoes smelling fresh.
Freshen up smelly shoes with this easy to make shoe deodorizer:
- 4 tablespoons banking soda
- 7 drops of tea tree oil (kill s bacteria)
- 5 drops of peppermint oil (for a fresh smell)
Mix the baking soda and essential oils in a glass jar, and then pour into your shoes. Leave at least overnight (but better if you can wait 24 hours), then shake out mixture.
Now you can enjoy fresh smelling shoes all the time 🙂
Top Selling Yard Shoes
Men’s yard shoes
Most men won’t think about the importance of wearing a special type of shoe in the garden. But if you have a man in your life who loves to garden, get him a pair of men’s yard shoes and save him from unnecessary back pain and possible injuries.
Women’s yard shoes
Want to stay stylish in the garden, while also caring for your body? These women’s yard shoes are not only safe, but also really cute. Which one is your favorite? My favorite is the neon green trimmed one: looks really comfy and I love the pop of color 😉
Waterproof yard shoes
Stay dry in the garden with a pair of waterproof yard shoes. Here are some of the best:
Kujo yardwear garden shoe
A newer garden shoe on the market, the Kujo shoe is made for the person who loves a yard experience like no other. Take look at this video to learn a bit about the history of this shoe and the company behind it.
While on the more expensive side of shoes for gardening, it looks like people love these! What they like about them? Here are a few things I’ve seen in garden forums:
- they keep my feet dry
- they are great for use in the morning dew
- I especially like the knobs they put on the bottom of these shoes
- the shoes are easy to keep clean
- they have a firm grip across the ankles
Slip on yard shoes
I LOVE this feature! Nothing worse than having to sit down and take time to untie and tie back your shoes before you can go work in the garden. Slipping them on and off quickly gets me faster in and out of the garden.
I love my Merrel slip-ons. They are good, durable, and not too heavy.