Beekeeping can be an incredibly rewarding experience: not only do you get sweet, golden honey from your own backyard hives, but the bees also pollinate native flowers and important food crops, like those in your vegetable beds or orchard. Plus, there’s nothing quite like sitting in a garden full of beautiful flowers and listening to the entrancing buzz of honeybees as they go about their work.
Whether you’re still in the dreaming and scheming stage or have already proudly introduced bees to your new hives, the collection of articles below will provide the introduction to beekeeping you need to help your new little friends thrive.
Introduction to Beekeeping
So you want to be a beekeeper. Where do you start? What equipment will you need, how much will it cost, and how much time will you need to invest?
If you already have bees, you might have a whole different set of questions related to hive maintenance and troubleshooting:
- What kind of fuel goes in a smoker?
- How does one use a pipe queen catcher?
With a little research and some trial and error, you’ll become an experienced beekeeper that helps others.
Learning about beekeeping doesn’t have to feel like solving a maze, though. We’ve compiled all of our handy beekeeping guides in one place and organized them by category so you can easily find the answers you need.
What should you know before getting bees?
Not sure where to begin? You’re in the right place! These posts provide all the basic background info you need before diving into beekeeping. Start with “Beekeeping for Beginners” and see where it leads you!
- Beekeeping for Beginners – Everything You Need to Know to Start Raising Bees
- How Much Land Do I Need to Keep Bees Happy & Healthy?
- Is It Safe to Keep Bees in Your Backyard?
- Which Direction Should a Beehive Face?
Take a deeper look into beekeeping with these answers to some more specific questions, as well as a list of recommended books for even further reading.
- 9 Beekeeping Books for Beginners – Learn About Caring for Bees
- How Many Times a Year Can You Harvest Honey?
- What Time Do Bees Wake Up? And Why You Should Care
- Can a Bee Sting Through a Bee Suit? 6 Precautions to Take When Working With Bees
- Do Bees Get Mad When You Take Their Honey?
- Do Bees From Different Hives Fight?
- How Cold Is Too Cold to Install Bees?
- Can a Bee Join a New Hive – How to Combine Beehives
Keeping bees requires some rather specialized beekeeping equipment, from hive boxes to honey production tools. Find out what you need, and what it might cost, in these helpful posts.
- Best Beekeeping Starter Kit for New Beekeepers
- Best Queen Marking Pens
- Mann Lake Beekeeping Supplies Every Beekeeper Needs
- Reliable Dadant Beekeeping Supplies for Beginner Beekeepers
The hive: that stack of wooden boxes full of frames dripping with honey, and bees buzzing in and out of the little opening. This is where the magic happens. Learn how to properly set up your hive and care for it so it lasts for years to come.
- Where to Place a Beehive – Can You Put It in the Woods?
- Can You Paint a Beehive With Bees in It? 8 Tips to Do It Right
- How Do You Waterproof a Beehive? A Quick Guide to Extending Your Hives’ Life
- Beehive Stand Height: How High off the Ground Should Your Hives Be?
Beekeeping how-to guides
Here is where you can find practical tips for keeping a happy and healthy hive of bees. When should you add your new bees? How do you use a smoker? Take a look!
- How to Calm Bees Before Inspecting the Hive
- How Do You Use a Pipe Queen Catcher?
- What Time of Day Is Best to Install Package Bees?
- Bee Smoker Fuel Tips: 5 Things You Should Not Put in a Bee Smoker (And 8 You Should!)
You’re almost there! With all this beekeeping knowledge under your belt, you’ll soon be relaxing among the flowers, iced tea in hand, listening to your own honeybees gather nectar for that liquid gold we call honey (to sweeten more tea, of course!).